This blog chronicles some of my random travels, experiences, and interactions out in the world. I believe we live in a fascinating time, and I hope to be one person who attempts to capture some small experiences in words.
Tuesday, December 3, 2013
2013 Book recommendations (October - November)
33) Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
34) Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling
35) Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling
4 of 5 -- why not a 5? Only because I watched the movies ahead of time and I couldn't separate the movies from the books. Secondarily, these are children's books and sometimes the language truly played like a children's book. I loved the fact that the books were all a quick read. But sometimes, I found myself pausing at the simplicity of the writing and that was distracting.
36) Fred Voodoo by Wilentz, Amy 3 of 5 -- The book is about the role outsiders have had on Haiti, how the Haitian people have remained skeptical of the intentions of those outsiders, and the "fault" for the continued "chaos" in Haiti. Unfortunately, the style of this writer immediately rubbed me the wrong way. On one hand, she acknowledges that she is just like the rest of the outsiders, acting in the role of "a white woman" for many individual Haitian; seen as a potential source of funds and escape. Yet, on the other, she writes with a tone of superiority that she can see something that the other do-gooders involved in Haiti can due to her unique historical perspective and depth of knowledge. It's definitely worth a read since she gives a great perspective as Haiti as a future reflection of all of us (rather than being seen through the lenses of victimhood). It's also worth a read to really have one reflect on whether one's giving ACTUALLY helps the intended cause or will just help the donated organization self-perpetuate.
37) Why Should the Boss Listen to You by James E. Lukaszewski (In Progress)
TBD out of 5 -- I'm reading this book from the perspective 1) do I want the boss to listen to me and 2) do I have anything to say that the boss needs to hear? I'm not convinced that I do have something unique to say; but I might.
##) Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach (In Progress)
This book is on my kindle, which unfortunately has been at my uncle's house since early June. I feel like I will never see it again at this rate.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment