Wednesday, October 2, 2013

2013 Book recommendations (August-September)

27) The Waste Lands (Dark Tower IV) by Stephen King 
4 out of 5 -- Blaine the Pain is totally insane, is the key to the first 10% of the book. This mono is loopy and really keeps our main characters on their toes. Great read! The book then continues the journey, with a hard left turn to rewind back to look at the early life of Roland as a gunslinger apprentice. King has been hinting at this story being key to understanding him; here's the chance to learn why.

28)  The Wind through the Keyhole (Dark Tower 4.5) by Stephen King 3 out of 5 -- This book are two short stories combined to fill in the gap between the gunslinger the kid and the gunslinger going off on this long quest. It was a fun story. And felt lighter than the first half of the books. Perhaps this is a result of a change of writing style by S.K. since it was written well after the series was complete.

29) Wolves of the Calla (Dark Tower V) by Stephen King
3 out of 5 -- filler book. I wasn't thrilled with this one.

30)  Songs of Susannah (Dark Tower VI) by Stephen King  
2 out of 5 -- I have already forgotten what this story really fulfilled other than to move the series along.

31) Dark Tower (Dark Tower VII) by Stephen King 
5 out of 5 -- OMG, OMG, OMG. The first ending made me ANGRY. I was ready to fly to Maine and egg S.K.'s cabin door. The second ending was better, at least it ended. Overall, I really enjoyed this book as well as the series. It's quite the rollercoaster.

32) Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim  by David Sedaris 
3 out of 5 -- David Sedaris is a funny man. I really appreciated this look into his life in Paris, in New England, and gallivanting about with his partner. If you ever felt like an outcast in your family, or perhaps that your family was made up of outcasts from the world, you can appreciate this light-hearted book. There are some somber moments where Sedaris gives a peek into what it was like to be a homosexual male and feeling "different" from others, likewise, how being "cast out" when you're a bum can be translated in so many perspectives! The chapters are rather disconnected and felt less like a cohesive novel than a collection of short stories. Maybe that was the intent. Maybe I ought to have read the back cover to find out. In any case, it was nice light reading in between my book series I'm gobbling up!

No comments:

Post a Comment