Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Reading 2012 (Q2-4)


The Giver by Lois Lowry
4 of 5 --- I really enjoyed this book, but unfortunately the ending left me with a sour taste so I had to give the book a lower rating. Likely, I learned later, it was because the book is a trilogy. The book chronicles a young child who grows up in a town that is focused on sameness. As a result, people take political correctness to an extreme, families dialogue each day according to a set script, individuals are assigned jobs best suited to their skills and disposition based on the wisdom of elders and everything in the town is quite orderly and nice. The book takes a major turn when the protagonist learners that his role will be to be the receiver of memories; and what a life he will lead!

How to Get into Law School by Susan Estrich
5 of 5 -- A realistic view, from a Harvard Law Professor, on what qualities it takes to get into and some hints at how to be successful in the first year.

Better Reasoning: Techniques for Handling Argument, Evidence, and Abstraction by Larry Wright
4 of 5

I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell by Tucker Max
5 of 5 -- My inner frat boy loved reading this book. Which means I would not recommend it to most people.

The Leftovers by Tom Perrotta

Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

My Man Jeeves by P. G. (Pelham Grenville) Wodehouse 
4 of 5 -- Such a fun book! It's a series of short stories of how a Butler, named Jeeves, comes to the "rescue" of the protagonist's friends. I enjoyed it so much, I've downloaded the other books by the author.

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore By Robin Sloan
5 of 5 -- Great nerd fiction. I highly recommend this book to people who are google fanatics.

The Paper Chase by John Osborn
3 of 5 -- Particularly interesting if you have an interest in going to law school. 

2 B R 0 2 B by Kurt Vonnegut
5 of 5 -- This story is short, sweet, and to the point, with a good surprise ending. It's set in the future when death has been cured and a form of utopia has been established....

The Book Thief by Marcus Zusac
5 of 5 -- Wow. Written from the perspective of the Grim Reaper, this story chronicles the life of a foster child in Hitler's Germany. Strikes at so many of the questions about what would it be like, being an ordinary family, when all your neighbors and friends have been washed away with propaganda. Excellent read.

No comments:

Post a Comment