Sunday, March 13, 2011

Story Telling

I went to an event with Makisha Lawerence this weekend in North Hollywood. To get there, I took *gasp* public transportation. That's right, this grown woman who owns a vehicle, has money for gas, whose insurance and registration is paid decided to forgo her car to take the blue line to the red line to go to a writers meet-up event.

It turned out to be a great, intimate event with various authors. The first was the author of What was I thinking: 58 Bad Boyfriend Stories. She shared excerpts of her book that have been integrated with video and pictures. It was quite entertaining! There was also the author of Diary of Beverly Hills Matchmaker. Some of the authors were funny, some were interesting, the MC just seemed to love to hear himself talk. Towards the end, there was even a psychic, named Voxx, who said she writes what the voices tell her. She jokingly said, "I wonder what is the difference between me being psychic and psycho" while she chuckled to self, the rest of us squirmed uncomfortably in our chairs. When she suggested we close our eyes to listen to her read, I was convinced that she was going to rob us! Of course, nothing of the sort occurred, but it was still entertaining. I came away from the event entertained, and with some new ideas of how to help my Uncle Jake get his writing project published.

The ride home on the train was pleasant. In every other city that I travel, I spend a lot of time taking public transportation. Here in LA, I generally only take it to and from work. But after this lovely evening, I came home, read a bit, played some poker, and ended up getting my first full night's sleep in months. I'd guess that the sleep came from having peace in my heart, the knowledge of friendship, and the clarity that things are all alright.

No comments:

Post a Comment